Are you a Local History or community group, school or an individual researcher, hoping to run a project or conduct research into Wiltshire’s involvement in World War 1?
The Wiltshire and Swindon Archive service and Local Studies library based at the History Centre holds a range of material that will help you uncover the personal stories and other information relating to those who were involved in the war and on the home-front.
As we draw closer to the centenary commemorations for the Great War, this page on our website will keep help guide you to some of our:
We have recenly worked with the Wilthsire First World War Steering Group to create a 'how to' guide for groups and researchers who intend to create digital records of First World War memorabilia, images and stories; giving tips on digital photography, oral history and all those tricky issues around copyright and formats. You can download these as a pdf or word file:
We will be updating this page regularly.
Within our archives are resources such as:
- Soldiers’ diaries, notes and sketches and service books
- Letters from soldiers
- Military records including field service books, maps and a casualty charts (Please note that we are not the main source for military records, which are mainly at the National Archives)
- Local military recruitment tribunals
- Photographs, such as regimental albums, postcards and portraits.
- Records for military camps in Wiltshire
- Hospital records
- Printed ephemera such as posters, leaflets and booklets on home-front issues
- Local newspapers
- Rolls of honour
- Resources for family history to discover more about your World War 1 ancestors, such as census returns, parish registers, school records
- Free internet access to a range of online resources
To view a pdf of a detailed list of research resources click on World War 1 Research Material
Please note that the list of resources is continually being updated, so you may wish to revist this page at regular intervals.
Our World War 1 resource packs designed specifically for schools will be available soon. To order these and to learn about other educational activities please see our Heritage Education Service pages
We have created a blog for the heritage community in Wiltshire for major commemorative activities. It aims to share ideas, news and events; and enable community organisations and individuals to network with each other. The current focus is on Worl War 1 commemorative activities. Go to:
Some community groups may wish to know more about how they organise activities, network with other groups, or secure grant funding for activities.
Colleagues in the Heritage and Arts teams that work from the History Centre are involved in a Wiltshire-wide steering group Commemorating Wiltshire’s Great War and will be happy to provide information on this and related activities, both locally and nationally.
See what other groups are doing by loking on the Heritage in Wiltshire Blog
We also have experts who can advise on a range of grant funding that may be available and in some circumstances can provide support in writing funding applications.
You may also wish to visit the Heritage Lottery Fund website www.hlf.org.uk