Changes to Search Room Security and Document Production from June 2017
The preservation of archives for future generations is core to the role of Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre. Central to preservation are appropriate security measures to prevent loss, theft or damage.
Please note that from 6 June 2017 we will be improving the security of our unique archives by the following measures:
• Each researcher may order as many documents as they need but will only be issued with ONE item (which may be a box, a volume, a printed book, a bundle or a single document depending on numbering) at a time.
• Maps accompanied by a survey book will still be produced together, on the map table.
• Researchers wishing to use more than one document at a time (eg to compare handwriting or for some other legitimate purpose) should speak to the duty archivist in advance of ordering, and will need to sit in close proximity to the help desk to use their items.
• Researchers may if they wish to, indicate the priority of documents at the time of ordering to help with allocating this e.g. if you are ordering a deed and a will, but you wish to view the deed first, put ‘Top priority’ on the order slip
• The researcher should return documents to the search room trolley. Staff retrieving these can then issue the next document to the researcher’s table.
It is recommended that elderly/infirm customers sit close to the returns trolley.
• When there is only one document production assistant working, e.g. Saturdays and lunch times, production times may increase.
We are aware that these changes may slow down the speed of accessing documents slightly but we feel confident that we can still meet our target, which is to provide customers with their first document within 20 minutes from the time of ordering.
Pre-ordering of documents will assist in enabling our staff to continue to provide an excellent service to researchers.