In the last quarter of 2019 we received several new archives to add to our resources. From artists’ sketchbooks to property documents, all our new acquisitions further our knowledge and enjoyment of the history of our county. Here are a few recent highlights.
In November we acquired a range of documents from the Wiltshire-born artist Janet Boulton (collection reference 4469). Early in her career Janet worked at the Westinghouse Brake and Signal Company in Chippenham, and during her lunchbreaks made sketches of urban landscapes and factory details. We have acquired two of Janet’s sketchbooks plus some of her monoprints and colour collages. These were inspired by her time at Westinghouse and by industrial equipment at a farm at Stanton Fitzwarren. Janet has a long association with the Swindon Museum and Art Gallery, going back over 40 years, from her early exhibition Windows and Reflections in 1977 to her 2017 'A Seeming Diversity' retrospective. Janet’s work was also included in a 2019 exhibition at Salisbury Museum. Both these latter events formed part of the HLF-funded Creative Wiltshire initiative.
From Westbury we have a scrapbook donated by the Westbury Town Twinning Association, to add to their existing collection of newsletters, minutes and programmes (reference 4130). This loose volume includes items from the early years of the association in the late 1970s until its termination in 1998, such as newspaper cuttings, photographs, invitations and paper souvenirs.
Elsewhere in Westbury comes an accrual to the archives of the Westbury and District Hospital League of Friends. This new addition (references J2/163/25 and J2/163/26)) comprises pages from a scrapbook packed with newspaper cuttings and event invitations, plus a printed history of the Friends organisation. The group was established in 1954 by George and Phyllis Cundrick, and over the years raised around half a million pounds for the hospital. The collection also documents the Friends’ protests against the threatened closure of the hospital. Sadly the hospital finally closed in 2012 after over 100 years of service to the town, after which the Friends continued to raise money to support healthcare provision in the community.
Our friends at Athelstan Museum in Malmesbury have transferred to us a series of property documents from the nineteenth century concerning properties in the Market Cross and Oxford Street area of the town (collection reference 3678D). These leases, conveyances and other legal documents make reference to various parties from the town and beyond, including the Reverend George Rushout Bowles of Burford House, Shropshire, who by the 1860s was Lord of the Manor of Malmesbury and Westport. These properties changed hands at various points during the nineteenth century, so the collection provides useful information on the buildings and their ownership.
Our archive of the Great Western Railway already includes over 18,000 plans and drawings depicting railway buildings, engineering structures and tracks from all over the British Isles. To this massive collection has been added a modest but welcome accrual of three track diagrams dating from between 1952 and 1968. Specifically, these depict the Amesbury Ground Frame (catalogue reference 2515/410/2205MS), the Salisbury Tunnel Junction (2515/410/2206MS) and the Westbury South signal box (2515/410/2207MS). Another piece of the huge GWR jigsaw has fallen into place.
The Friends of Malmesbury Abbey have donated a collection of their minutes, newsletters and correspondence (reference 4310). This includes correspondence regarding alterations to the Abbey’s fittings such as the provision of a new organ and the refurbishment of the Parvise exhibition area. In addition, we now have a plan and section of the abbey made by the architect Harold Brakspeare in the 1920s, which outlines proposed repairs to the pulpit, lectern and misericords. The collection also sheds light on a design competition for a new sculpture for the East Wall, held between 1967 and 1969. As well as correspondence, this file (4310/4/2) contains photographs, cuttings, minutes and reports on the submitted designs. The winning sculptor TB Huxley-Jones died the day after winning and a second design, by Walter Ritchie was selected in its place. Ritchie's scheme was approved by numerous official organisations but rejected by the Cathedrals Advisory Committee Inspectors in 1969 and subsequently no commission was undertaken. The space remains unfilled to this day.
And finally we have received a fascinating 1947 sale catalogue concerning the sale of large portions of the Longleat estate (reference 4472/1). The sale was necessary to pay death duties, presumably following the death of the fifth Marquess of Bath the previous year. The sale comprises over 200 lots including many houses, farms and plots of agricultural land, as well as the George Inn at Longbridge Deverill. This is a valuable social history document for its evidence of field sizes and uses, and its descriptions of identifiable properties in parishes including Corsley, Chapmanslade, Crockerton, Sutton Veny and Warminster.
As always, we are grateful to all our donors for contributing their collections to the History Centre. Further details of these and the rest of our holdings can be found on our archive catalogue. The collections themselves can be made available for research in our reading room.
We are coming to the end of our National Lottery Heritage Funded Creative Wiltshire project which ran from 2014 and aimed to collect and celebrate the work of the county’s creative people. Over the course of the project we made many and varied acquisitions for museums across the county; read more about the project, the artists and its acquisitions on the Creative Wiltshire website and watch a short film celebrating the impact of the project for local museums.
One of the final acquisitions we have been able to make is a collection of artwork by Janet Boulton.
Janet is an artist with strong connections to Wiltshire and Swindon. She was born in Swindon in 1936, and studied at Swindon School of Art from 1953-55 before going to the painting school at Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts until 1958. Some of the material we have collected was inspired by her time working at Westinghouse in Chippenham in the years immediately after she left Camberwell. She says “during the dinner break I took to making pencil drawings in a small lined notebook, standing around outside in various positions within the works”.
In 1977 Swindon Museum and Art Gallery hosted an exhibition by Janet Boulton called ‘Windows and Reflections’ which showcased her paintings of and through windows.
Janet also worked part time as an art teacher in Swindon at Commonweal and Hereod Burna Schools, and at Swindon College. During this time she still practiced as an artist and one of her paintings ‘End of Term, Commonweal School’ was exhibited at Salisbury Museum’s ‘Creative Wiltshire: A Celebration of Art in Wiltshire’ exhibition in 2019.
We are hoping to continue to develop the themes of the Creative Wiltshire project and to collect artistic material to preserve for public access and inspiration. The kinds of material we are looking to continue collecting include:
Sketch books Drawings and sketches Design ideas/notes – these may be in text format rather than just visual Scrap books Ephemera such as magazine articles, postcards, anything that might have been used as inspiration Preparatory work – working drawings. These may be considered by some to be unimportant because they are unfinished or scrappy, but they are all part of a process. Photographs – these may be of work no longer owned by the artist or of work in progress or of things that inspired future work. Publicity material – this may be a poster for an exhibition, a list of exhibitors, it may have been designed by the artist. Diaries and journals. Samples – this might be a proof of a print, or a sample of a textile, or a fragment of a glaze or paint colour, depending on the artist’s preferred medium. Tracings or cartoon used by artists to plan
We would also be keen to include anything that reflects the life and workspace of an artist; images of a studio or workspace, previous exhibitions, commissions etc.
Finally, if you are looking for some inspiration about how to use archives for artistic inspiration we have put together this Artists in the Archives Toolkit!
"Our day" for the conservators at the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre is always interesting.
A common job within our object lab is removal of corrosion from archaeological finds.
This Roman coin, from a hoard of over 1200, is having its corrosion painstakingly removed using a scalpel under magnification, ready for display at Athelstan Museum.
This video shows a piece of thin Japanese tissue being shaped and cut to support a weak area of paper. This is done by placing the tissue on top of some thick polyester and tracing the shape using a needle. It is then adhered to the back of the document using gelatin. Gelatin is not always used but in this case the document has a type of ink called Iron Gall ink that is best treated with gelatin rather than other types of adhesives. A release paper is then smoothed over the top before the area is sandwiched with blotter and weighted down to aid drying.
If you would like to find out more about conserving and caring for your own family photographs, keepsakes and treasures book onto one of our FREE Conservation Surgeries held at WSHC every month. For more information contact the help desk on 01249 705500 (Tues-Sat 9.30-5pm).
3878/5 Detail from the cover of a school magazine from Burderop Park Training College
Since our last acquisitions update the shelves of our archives have continued to swell with new archives. Here is a brief overview of just a few of the new collections deposited between July and September.
Burderop Emergency Training College was established in Chiseldon in1946 by the County Council’s Education Committee. This was one of a number of colleges providing one-year teacher training courses principally to ex-service personnel (exclusively men) to address the shortfall in teachers following the Second World War. Burderop had the capacity to train over 200 men a year. The college proved highly effective, and the principal’s files detail the names of many students and the posts they were subsequently appointed to. As with all Emergency Training Colleges, Burdeop was comparatively short-lived, closing its’ doors in 1950. Nonetheless their archive (collection reference 3678) gives us a vivid account of their activities through a series of Principal’s Reports, college magazines and newspaper articles. The collection also includes programmes from open days, and from the college’s Dramatic Society. There is even the typescript from a broadcast on Norwegian radio, plus group photographs of students and staff.
The Wilton Floral Society (collection reference 3678C) was established in 1969 as a breakaway group from the successful Salisbury Floral Arrangement Society, enabling members to meet closer to home. The group was set up by the then Mayoress of Wilton Irene Hudson, and Lady Pembroke of Wilton House agreed to be their President. The society took part in a series of instruction workshops, not just on flower arranging but also related skills such as creating corn dollies. Their scrapbooks contain many of their prize certificates as well as local newspaper articles featuring their displays. The collection also includes photograph albums focusing on two of their major projects; In September 1986 the Society held a Harvest Flower Festival at the redundant Church of St Mary, in aid of the Wilton Church Appeal. The second album concerns their displays at St Peter’s Church, Fugglestone. This album is undated (perhaps mid-1980s) and includes details of which members were responsible for each display.
The North Wiltshire Centre of the National Trust was established in 1971 to arrange lectures and visits for members, as well as working to recruit new members for the Trust at a local level. One of its earliest projects was to fundraise for restoration work at Lacock Abbey. The group later spread geographically to become the North and West Wiltshire National Trust Association. Their archive (reference 3678B) includes meeting minutes and correspondence which document their range of activities. The accompanying series of newsletters are also of interest to local historians as they collate updates on local Trust projects, such as landscaping and property conservation.
Our considerable collection from Devizes Town Council has been further enhanced with a broad range of papers. One file details the redevelopment of the Brittox area of the town in the 1980s (3332/68). Elsewhere there’s a programme from an event to mark the presentation of New Colours to the Wiltshire Regiment in Bangalore in 1939 (3332/71). There are also files on a series of events giving the Freedom of the Borough of Devizes to various former mayors, councillors and local worthies. These files provide biographical information on each honouree as well as highlighting the research and consideration given to the festivities, such as invitees, speeches and ceremonial gifts (3332/72-76).
In July we received a substantial addition to our collection of records of the Freemason Lodge of Friendship and Unity 1271, Bradford-on-Avon (reference 2592a). This accrual consists of over a hundred years of meeting minutes (1884-2017) and financial and membership ledgers (1869-1988), plus administration files (1920s-2010) and ceremonial certificates. This collection complements our other freemasons collections from lodges across the county. As well as providing much information on the activities of the lodge, the collection also includes a file of historical notes on masonic ceremonies and rituals.
We have also recently received a single ledger relating to Slade's Brewery, which was located on Union St here in Chippenham. The ledger (reference 3571B) is a beer and mineral day book, covering the years 1924 to 1926. It records of the names of pubs supplied by Slade’s and the names of licensees, and as such supplies the researcher with much local information.
The West Lavington branch of the British Legion have deposited a set of their minutes and accounts covering the dates 1953 to 2009 (collection reference 3558D). The minutes record the various good works undertaken by the group, such as visiting the sick and allocating funds to those in need. The collection complements numerous other British Legion collections deposited here from across the county.
Swindon Borough Council’s Highway Record Department have donated a series of ledgers concerning the apportionment of the cost of making up private streets. These 5 volumes list the owners of properties on each street and the monies they contributed to upgrade their road. In many cases these improvements led to the street becoming a designated highway. The volumes (reference numbers G24/701/287 to G24/701/291) cover the years 1895 to 1972. Our collection of poor law records for the county has been enhanced by the acquisition of three out-door relief lists covering the parishes of Collingbourne and Netheravon, part of Pewsey Union. These volumes (reference H13/170/1H) cover 1905 and 1906, and record the names of individuals receiving relief from the parish (referred to as ‘paupers’) plus the amounts paid each week. Similarly we have received a parochial poor rate valuation book for the parish of Enford, which was also part of the Pewsey Union. This volume (H13/130/2B) is broad in scope, covering the period 1891 to 1914. It was used to record the name of the owner and occupier for each property or area of land plus its rateable value, and an estimate of its size. These additions are therefore useful tools not just for family historians, but also those interested in the history of these parishes. It is heartening that such acquisitions come our way over a hundred years since they ceased to serve their original purpose.
The Devizes and District U3A group have undertaken interesting research at Lacock Abbey, and kindly deposited their results with us (2664/2/2E/9). This includes biographies of each of the owners of the abbey from Ela, Countess of Salisbury in the Thirteenth Century up to the present ownership by the National Trust. There is also a file of research on Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Domestic Matters, wherein the group have uncovered many recipes and remedies from the Abbey archives. These recipes are mainly herb-based but also include liberal use of alcohol. These certainly sound more palatable than those involving worms, snails or soot from the stove. The same U3A group has also undertaken further research at Lacock Abbey, in conjunction with the National Trust. This time their efforts were focused on the Abbey’s grotto, waterway and old water gardens. The resulting reports and correspondence can be found under reference 2664/2/2H/9.
We have also received a second deposit of records regarding the noted architect Robert Townsend (collection reference 2806). This furthers our collection of company correspondence, architectural plans and project specifications. Townsend’s design skills were utilised in domestic, industrial and ecclesiastical buildings in Wiltshire and beyond. The collection also includes a scrapbook containing images from newspaper cuttings, photographs and postcards considered of interest by Townsend. Interestingly, this volume reuses a school register for 1918/19, and pupils’ progress reports are still visible on certain pages. Sadly its impossible to know which school the register came from, but we would love to find out. No acquisitions update would be complete without mention of the Women’s Institute, and yet again different groups have generously deposited their records here at the History Centre. The WIs of Christian Malford and Foxham (3467B), Broad Town (1742B) and Boxlea (3707A) have each contributed new accruals. These collections typically contain a range of meeting minutes and record books, plus programmes or scrapbooks from their numerous events. Similarly we have received numerous accruals to our collection of parish records. The parish councils of Maiden Bradley (4167), Hornhinsham (4168), Worton (4349), Potterne (3041), Castel Combe (1642), Christian Malford (4422), Southwick (1375) and Chute (4464) have all made new deposits with us.
This is just a selection of our new arrivals. As always, we are grateful to all our donors for adding their collections to our archives. Further details of these and the rest of our holdings can be found on our archive catalogue. The collections themselves are available to browse in our reading room.
Woollen Industry Processes: How cloth was made firstly in people’s houses then by machinery in factories, K.H. Rogers, 2019 AAA.677 Trowbridge Museum in Association with the Friends of Trowbridge Museum ISBN 9781645161967 98 pages
The publication has been designed to describe all processes of cloth making for visitors to Trowbridge Museum, first appearing as two pamphlets in 2000 and 2008 but the scope of this newly published version is now much wider.
Ken Rogers has taken a novel approach, using a 1749 account of cloth processes, found in the Stourhead archives at the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre as the backbone of the book, quotations being used at the beginning of each chapter. These are extremely effective, adding context and a sense of history to the information which follows.
With an eye-catching front cover, Woollen Industry Processes is image-rich, packed full of interesting views of cloth workers, machinery, processes, locations and more.
Key terms are explained and the processes are followed step-by-step. The change from domestic to factory production is addressed and the industry is looked at on a county-wide scale, although understandably the focus is on the Trowbridge mills. Interesting information includes the work of the scribblers and the ‘sheer’ size of the shears used on the nap.
An enjoyable read, great to dip into and informative but also succinct, Woollen Industry Processes contains a wealth of information and superb images which complement the text.
Recommended for those with a little to no knowledge of the industry but have an interest in discovering more about how cloth was produced.
Available from the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre and Trowbridge Library ref: AAA.677
Julie Davis County Local Studies Librarian Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre